The World Cup of Golf was an annual golf tournament in which each participating country one team of two players should participate. The formula remains the same but after 2009 is the only World Cup played every two years, in the odd years. The next edition is in 2015.
The World Cup was called from 1953-1967 the Canada Cup, and then the World Cup. Initiator was the Canadian John Jay Hopkins, who hoped through this sporting event to build international friendship. In 1993 the name was changed to World Cup of Golf. The first two Canada Cups were played in Montreal, then the tournament has always taken place in other countries.
In total, up to and including the 2013 World Cup, and the team has played 57 times of the United States won 24 times. Four times won Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer, Fred Couples won four times and Davis Love III.
Netherlands is at the World Cup among other things been represented by Jan Dorrestein (1970-1973), Robert-Jan Derksen and Maarten Lafeber (2004), Rolf Muntz (1994, 1995), Joost steenkamer (1995), Chris van der Velde (1993, 1994) and Constant Sahu Villela (1993, 1994). The best result achieved is a shared 4th place in 2011 by Robert-Jan Derksen and Joost Luiten.
In 2014, golf part of the 2016 Summer Olympics.
|1953||||Roberto de Vincenzo and Antonio Cerdà||Montreal, Canada|
|1954||||Peter Thomson and Kel Nagle||Montreal, Canada|
|1955||||Ed Furgol and Chick Harbert||Washington DC, Usa|
|1956||||Ben Hogan and Sam Snead||Wentworth, England|
|1957||||Torakichi Nakamura and Koichi Ono||Tokyo, Japan|
|1958||||Harry Bradshaw and Christy O'Connor||Mexico City|
|1959||||Peter Thomson and Kel Nagle||Australia|
|1960||||Arnold Palmer and Sam Snead||Portmarnock GC, Ireland|
|1961||||Sam Snead and Jimmy Demaret||Puerto Rico|
|1962||||Arnold Palmer and Sam Snead||Buenos Aires, Argentina|
|1963||||Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer||Paris, France|
|1964||||Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer||Hawaii|
|1965||||Gary Player and Harold Henning||Club de Campo, Madrid, Spain|
|1966||||Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer||Japan|
|1967||||Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer||Mexico City|
|1968||||Al Balding and George Knudson||Olgiata, Rome, Italy|
|1969||||Lee Trevino and Orville Moody||Singapore|
|1970||||David Graham and Bruce Devlin||Argentina|
|1971||||Jack Nicklaus and Lee Trevino||Palm Beach, Florida, Usa|
|1972||||Hsieh Min-Nan and Lu Liang-Huan||Australia|
|1973||||Johnny Miller and Jack Nicklaus||Marbella, Spain|
|1974||||Dale Hayes and Bobby Cole||Venezuela|
|1975||||Johnny Miller and Lou Graham||Bangkok, Thailand|
|1976||||Manuel Piñero and Severiano Ballesteros||United States|
|1977||||Severiano Ballesteros and Antonio Garrido||Philippines|
|1978||||John Mahaffey and Andy North||Hawaii|
|1979||||John Mahaffey and Hale Irwin||Glyfada Golf Club, Athens, Greece|
|1980||||Dan Halldorson and Jim Nelford||Colombia|
|1982||||Manuel Piñero and José Maria Cañizares||Mexico|
|1983||||Rex Caldwell and John Cook||Jakarta|
|1984||||José Maria Cañizares and José Rivero||Rome, Italy|
|1985||||Dave Barr and Dan Halldorson||United States|
|1987||||Ian Woosnam and David Llewellyn||Kapalua Resort, Hawaii|
|World Cup of Golf by Philip Morris|
|1988||||Ben Crenshaw and Mark McNulty||Royal Melbourne, Australia|
|1989||||Peter Fowler and Wayne Grady||Las Brisas, Marbella, Spain|
|World Cup of Golf by Kraft General Foods|
|1990||||Bernhard Langer and Torsten Giedeon||Grand Cypress, Florida, United States|
|World Cup of Golf by Philip Morris|
|1991||||Per-Ulrik Johansson and Anders Forsbrand||La Querce, Rome, Italy|
|1992||||Fred Couples and Davis Love III||La Moraleja Golf, Madrid, Spain|
|WGC-World Cup by Heineken|
|1993||||Fred Couples and Davis Love III||Lake Nona, United States|
|1994||||Fred Couples and Davis Love III||Dorado Beach, Puerto Rico|
|1995||||Fred Couples and Davis Love III||Mission Hills, Shenzhen, China|
|World Cup of Golf|
|1996||||Ernie Els and Wayne Westner||Erinvale, Cape Town, South Africa|
|1997||||Pádraig Harrington and Paul McGinley||Kiawah Island, United States|
|1998||||Nick Faldo and David Carter||Gulf Harbour, New Zealand|
|1999||||Tiger Woods and Mark O'Meara||Mines Resort, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|2000||||David Duval and Tiger Woods||Argentina|
|2001||||Ernie Els and Retief Goosen||Japan|
|2002||||Toshimitsu Izawa and Rohit Maruyama||Mexico|
|2003||||Trevor Immelman and Rory Sabbatini||United States|
|2004||||Paul Casey and Luke Donald||Spain|
|2005||||Stephen Dodd and Bradley Dredge||Victoria Course, Portugal|
|2006||||Bernhard Langer and Marcel Siem||Sandy Lane Resort, Barbados|
|Omega Mission Hills World Cup|
|2007||||Colin Montgomerie and Marc Warren||Mission Hills, Shenzhen, China|
|2008||||Robert Karlsson and Henrik Stenson||Mission Hills, Shenzhen, China|
|2009||||Edoardo Molinari and Francesco Molinari||Mission Hills, Shenzhen, China|
|2011||||Matt Kuchar and Gary woodland||Mission Hills Haikou, China|
|2013||||Jason Day and Adam Scott||Melbourne, Australia|
- The United States have won 23 times, Australia, Spain and South Africa 5 times every 4 times.
- Ernie Els won In 1996 and 18- Wayne Westner pass jumped in front of a home crowd.
- In 2007, a 3-hole playoff played against Slucum of the United States Keekley and Heath Boo.
- The World Cup will be played twelve times on Mission Hills.
- In 1954 and 1955 there was a Scandinavian team on behalf of Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark, because the countries had no individual players of good level. The team consisted of Carl Paulsen (D) and Arne Werkell (Z). Denmark and Sweden In 1956 formed their own team, Norway and Iceland in 1977 followed in 1967.
- The winners of 1961, Sam Snead and Jimmy Demaret, were together over 100 years old. The 51-year-old Dawson replaced Arnold Palmerat the last minute. He was the only player who appeared in shorts. They remained at number two, twelve strokes for Australia.
- In 1962 the Cup played in Buenos AIres. Next to the first tee, the Cup has been drawn up. The president of the Federation took there are straw hat off and put it in the Cup. Moments later, there was smoke coming from the Cup, the heat of the Sun had his hat on fire.
- When Fiji delegated a team for the first time in 1977, the players appeared in traditional clothing (shawls) and barefoot.
- Flory van Donck was 67 years old when he appeared in 1979. He played with Philippe Toussaint. Vaughn made 75-76-75-76 and the 30-year-old Toussaint 79-79-79-77. Belgium was 17th, there were 45 participating national teams.