Starter for 10 is a 2006 British film directed by Tom Vaughan. The film is based on the novel Starter for 10 (2003) by David Nicholls.
The film revolves around Brian Jackson, played by James McAvoy, a first-year student at the University of Bristol who manages to gain a place in the ' ' University Challenge ' ' quiz team. Starter for ten premiered at the Toronto Film Festival in september 2006.
The film is set in 1985 and tells the life of Brian Jackson (James McAvoy), a first-year student at the University of Bristol. He is a gifted but slightly unworldly person, and since his childhood fan of University Challenge. The well-known catchphrase of this tv quiz-"Your starter for 10" is the title of this movie. Shortly after his arrival in college he seizes the chance to participate with Bristol's University Challenge team. Then he is in love with his stylish teammate Alice (Alice Eve), although he has more in common with a Jewish anti culturalist girlfriend, Rebecca (Rebecca Hall). In addition, he feels caught between his new University life and his old life in Southend-on Sea, Essex.
- James McAvoy -Brian Jackson
- Dominic Cooper -Spencer
- James Corden -Tone
- Simon Woods -Josh
- Catherine Tate -Julie Jackson
- Elaine Tan -Lucy Chang
- Alice Eve -Alice Harbinson
- Rebecca Hall -Rebecca Epstein
- Charles Dance -Michael Harbison
- Lindsay Duncan -Rose Harbinson
- Benedict Cumberbatch -Patrick Watts
- Mark Gatiss -Bamber Gascoigne
- James Gaddas -Brian's father
- John Henshaw -Des
In total, the film was nominated for 4 awards between 2006 and 2007, 1 of which he won:
- 2006: Austin Film Festival Audience Award: Tom Vaughan and David Nicholls
- 2006: British Independent Film Awards Nomination for Douglas Hickox Award: Tom Vaughan
- 2007: Nomination Empire Award for best British Film
- 2007: Nomination Empire Award for Best Male Newcomer : Dominic Cooper
The soundtrack consists of a collection of British hits from the 70s and 80s, with a nod to love and romance.