Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope is an American science fiction film from 1977 . The film is chronologically the fourth installment of the Star Wars series , but it is the first made Star Wars movie. The film was directed by George Lucas for his own screenplay. The official title of the film was originally Star Wars.
- 1 Story
- 2 Cast
- 3 Background
- 3.1 Production
- 3.2 Retroactive changes
- 3.3 Music
- 3.4 Comments
- 3.5 Media
- 4 Awards and nominations
It is 19 years after Episode III and the Jedi Order is destroyed and become a legend. Since Emperor Palpatine , aka the Sith Darth Sidious , the power has seized and theGalactic Republic has reforged into the Galactic Empire , there is a resistance group actively trying to restore the Old Republic. This group, the rebel alliance succeeds led by Princess Leia Organa of Alderaan to steal the plans for the Death Star to destroy a colossal space station capable of a planet. The ship Leia is intercepted by imperial troops led by the Sith Lord Darth Vader . She can just see the robots R2-D2 and C-3PO to the planet Tatooine to send a message to Obi-Wan Kenobi .
On the planet are the droids purchased by moisture farmer Owen Lars and his nephew Luke Skywalker . Luke knows a certain "Kenobi" as a hermit living near the mountains. This is indeed the Obi-Wan for whom it was intended. The message asking Leia to Obi-Wan for help. Obi-Wan tells Luke that he was once a Jedi was, but went into exile when the Sith seized power. He knows that the imperial troops soon the droids will come looking. Luke fears for the safety of his uncle and aunt, but when he arrives at his home, it is already too late: the Stormtroopers have already been there and destroyed everything. His uncle and his wife, Luke's Aunt Beru, died.
When Luke learns that his father, Anakin, a Jedi was, he decides to go with Obi-Wan. The two will go to Alderaan to show the plans to Leia's adoptive father ( Bail Organa), in the hope that they can find a weak spot of the Death Star. Obi-Wan enlists the help of smuggler Han Solo and his first mate Chewbacca . Han, who urgently needs money to a debt to Jabba the Hutt to pay off, agrees Luke, Obi-Wan and bring robots to Alderaan with his ship; the Millennium Falcon .
Meanwhile Leia is caught in the Death Star, and provides resistance to harsh questioning her. Grootmoff Grand Moff Tarkin , the commander of the Death Star, decides to force her to tell where the rebels have been blowing up the Death Star Alderaan. On the way to Alderaan teaches Obi-Wan, Luke a lightsaber handle. Once the group arrives at Alderaan , they only find debris that is left of the just destroyed planet. The Death Star is still present, and the Millennium Falcon is using a tractor beamrecovered.
The occupants of the Falcon using the secret hatches where Han are contraband into hiding to hide and disguise themselves afterwards as Stormtroopers to undetected explore the Death Star. Obi-Wan goes looking for the generator of the tractor beam. Han, Luke and the droids discover that Leia caught in the Death Star, and free her. If the group wants to escape, Darth Vader intervenes. He and Obi-Wan fight in a lightsaber duel with Darth Vader kills the now old Kenobi. The others can escape safely in the Falcon, and hurry back to the rebel headquarters on Yavin IV .
Once in the rebel headquarters discover a weak spot in the Death Star. Han Solo, who does not want further involvement in this conflict, collects his earned money and leave, while Luke attack with the other rebels, the Death Star. Even threatening Darth Vader with Luke to destroy his ship, but then Han (who was apparently regretted his decision) between the Falcon. For example, Luke successfully firing two torpedoes at a small ventilation hatch. The torpedoes cause a chain reaction in the Death Star, and detonated the massive space station. Han, Luke and Darth Vader escape with their ships in the explosion, but Tarkin and others who were still present in the space, die.
In the final scene is Luke, Han and Chewbacca decorated by Princess Leia and the rest of the Rebel Alliance.
[Cast edit ] Edit
|Actor||Personage||Comments||Hamill Mark||Luke Skywalker|
|Harrison Ford||Han Solo|
|Carrie Fisher||Princess Leia Organa|
|Peter Cushing||Grootmoff Grand Moff Tarkin|
|Alec Guinness||Obi-Wan / Ben Kenobi|
|David Prowse||Darth Vader|
|James Earl Jones||Darth Vader||voice|
Background [ edit ] Edit
[Production edit ] Edit
During production of the film American Graffiti Lucas came up with the idea for a " space opera ". In May 1973 he wrote a 14-page story for a total of six films. As the story took place in the space, it was seen as a science fiction story. This genre was at that time not very popular, so being many filmmakers Lucas' idea off. It was 20th Century Fox, which eventually agreed.
Lucas wrote a full screenplay for the film in May 1974. While writing the screenplay changed the originally conceived scenarios and characters dramatically. Luke Skywalker would be originally a general middle-aged, and Han Solo was in the original scenario no man but a green humanoid alien.
In 1975, Lucas founded the company Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) for the special effects. There were not yet many famous actors who participated. Only Alec Guinness as Obi-Wan Kenobi and Peter Cushing asGrootmoff Tarkin . Filming began on March 22 1976 in the Tunisian desert for the scenes on Tatooine . For the scenes for the moisture farm where Luke lives, was filmed in Matmata . The project had several problems, and Luke all ran after a week behind schedule. Especially the props often refused service. After filming in Tunisia was finished, they went to the Elstree Studios in England for the rest of the film. It was also in the Mayan ruin Tikal in Mexico filming the scenes of Yavin IV .
The many problems during the filming there was a lot of pressure on Luke's shoulders to finish the film on time. This eventually went so far that he had to advise doctors are stress reduction. The film was scheduled for Christmas 1976, but delays the movie only came in the summer of 1977.
When Lucas showed a trial version of the film to some friends, including directors Brian De Palma , John Milius and Steven Spielberg , their responses were disappointing. In contrast, the crew of 20th Century Fox was enthusiastic about the result.
Although the film by the many delays went on his budget of 8 million dollars, it was $ 11 million, the cheapest of the Star Wars movies.
[Changes afterwards edit ] Edit
- During the shooting of the film there was a scene scheduled between Jabba the Hutt and Han Solo . This is a dummy actor was used so that Harrison Ford had someone to play against, after which the actor later with the computer would be replaced by the final Jabba. [source?] Due to time constraints and the not too distant technological developments of the past however, refrained to assemble complete this scene so inReturn of the Jedi Jabba first made a grand entrance at the general public. In 1997, when the special edition was released on video, the scene was first added to the film and the dummy actor was replaced by a computer-animated Jabba, who later in 2004 something more sophisticated was reworked.
- In the same scene with Jabba and Han became even made a change. At the end of the scene was the bounty hunter Boba Fett with the computer added to the scene. Because Boba in the original theatrical versions came only in The Empire Strikes Back in this in 1997 also placed the computer in the scene. This is partly because Boba Fett in the Star Wars Universe, the best bounty hunter and it would be strange if he were not on the scene, where he and other bounty hunters Jabba himself with Han Solo's ship, the Millennium Falcon looks for Han.
- A change that much to do at the time was the Special Edition is the additional camera shot in the Greedo scene. Originally follows an impending conversation a small explosion and Greedo falls dead on the table in front of Han, which is implied strongly that Han Solo Greedo shot dead. For the special edition 2004, there was an extra shot camera inserted with very windy dulcimer way Han Solo digitally aside when Greedo fires a shot there and Han then respond by also shooting. This change is so much a stir that it brought a humorous effect among fans and caused the global Internet meme "Han shot first."
[Music edit ] Edit
The film music was composed by John Williams . This music was also on a soundtrack album released by 20th Century Fox Records .
[Comments edit ] Edit
The film premiered on May 25 1977 in 32 cinemas, and broke all records. The film is nowadays often seen as the first real blockbuster , and is still known as one of the most financially successful films ever. Even crew members as the model makers was a signature requested by people who had seen the film. The movie was in terms of yield, the most successful film of 1977 and until 1982, the most successful film ever (in that year broke ET the Extra-Terrestrial this record).
Media [ edit ] Edit
The success of the film, came two sequels: Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Return of the Jedi (1983). There were also three prequels: Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002) and Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005). Late 70s there were also action figures of the characters in this film. In 1999 there was also LEGO calledLEGO Star Wars. There also all came comics and spin-offs of this film.
[Awards and nominations edit ] Edit
A New Hope was nominated for dozens of awards, and eventually won 35:
- The LAFCA Award for best music
- The LAFCA Award for best film
- Academy Awards for:
- Best Art Direction-Set Decoration
- Best costume design
- Best visual effects
- Best film editing
- Best music
- Best Sound
- Saturn Awards for:
- Best Actor (Mark Hamill)
- Best Actress (Carrie Fisher)
- Best costumes
- Best Director
- Best makeup
- Best music
- Best science fiction film
- Best Special Effects
- Best Supporting Actor (Alec Guinness)
- Best screenplay
- Outstanding Editing
- The Golden Globe for best original music.
- The Golden Screen
- The Grammy for best original music.
- The Hochi Film Award for best foreign film
- The Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation
- The People's Choice Award
- The Special Award
- The Anthony Asquith Award for Film Music
- The BAFTA Film Award for best sound.
- The Evening Standard British Film Award for Best Actor
- The Evening Standard British Film Award for best film
- The Readers' Choice Award for best foreign film director
- The Special Award
- The MTV Movie Award for Lifetime Achievement