Saint Louis was founded in 1764 by Pierre Laclede Liguest as a trading post from New Orleans and is named after Saint Louis. Pierre Laclede Liguest chose this location because of its proximity to the great Mississippi and Missouririvers. Most of the original inhabitants was of French descent. St. Louis was sold to Spain In 1770. In 1780 thebattle of St. Louis took place here at the time of the American Revolutionary War. In 1803 it became part of the United States and in 1809 the settlement was officially a city.
Henry Shaw opened In 1859 (1800-1889) the Missouri Botanical Garden, a botanical garden would grow to a scientific institution with an international reputation. Shaw gave the inhabitants of the city In 1868 the Tower Grove Park, a city park. In 1972 formed the Metropolitan Zoological Park and Museum District is a cultural district, including five institutes/attractions in Saint Louis fall.
In the 19th century Saint Louis itself developed into an important commercial and industrial centre. Many immigrants, especially of Irish and German descent moved to the city, later followed by immigrants from other countries, including Lebanon.
Between 1939 and 1966 took care of St. Louis Public Service co. public transportation in the city.
In 1965 came the ' Jefferson Westward Expansion Memorial ', also known as ' St. Louis 'Gateway ArchArch ' or ' done. This stainless steel hyperbolic cosine (catena, or chain line) of 192 m high and 192 m wide at the base is a memorial to president Thomas Jefferson and the same architect and a memorial for the trek to the West of the United States. The design is by the Finnish-American architect Eero Saarinen, with subsequent refinement by Saarinen, architect John Fred Severud Derar and engineer .
In 1993 near Saint Louis was 144 days under water. The cause was the Mississippi.
In 2004 St. Louis Cardinals played the final of the World Series in baseball.St. Louis, Missouri Botanical Garden, USA
About 2% of the population of St. Louis consists of hispanics and Latinos, 51.2% of African origin and 2% is of Asian origin.
The number of inhabitants decreased from 396.685 in 1990 to 348.189 in 2000.
- Jeremiah Harty (1853-1927), Archbishop of Manila and Omaha
- Augustus Goessling (29 July 1880-1963), water polo player
- Manfred Toeppen (1887-1968), water polo player
- T. S. Eliot (1888-1965), writer and Nobel Prize laureate
- Kathryn Adams (1893-1959), actress
- Laura La Plante (1904-1996), actress
- Josephine Baker (1906-1975), actress, dancer and singer
- Julian Alfred Steyermark (1909-1988), botanist
- Vincent Price (1911-1993), actor
- Glenn Morris (1912-1974), decathlete and Olympic champion
- Harry Babbitt (1913-2004), singer
- Betty Grable (1916-1973), actress, singer, dancer
- Virginia Mayo (1920-2005), actress
- Shelley Winters (1920-2006), actress
- Chuck Berry (18 October 1926), guitarist, singer and composer
- Gino Pariani (1928-2007), football player
- Doris Roberts (november 4, 1930), actress
- Linden Chiles (22 March 1933-2013), actor
- George Hearn (June 18, 1934), actor
- Frank Converse (1938), actor
- Ricky Owens (1939-1996), soul singer
- Kent Broadhurst (February 4, 1940), actor, screenwriter and painter
- Fontella Bass (1940-2012), singer, pianist and composer
- Lee Dorman (1942-2012), musician, bassist of Iron Butterfly
- John Milius (1944), film director, writer and producer
- David Rasche (August 7, 1944), actor
- Todd Susman (17 January 1947), actor
- Roger Kornberg (24 april 1947), chemist and biochemist
- Kevin Kline (1947), actor
- Steven Chu (born February 28, 1948), physicist, Nobel Prize laureate and Minister
- Gerry Becker (11 april 1951), actor
- Jimmy Connors (born september 2, 1952), tennis player
- Michael McDonald (12 February 1952), singer
- John Goodman (1952), actor
- Leon Spinks (11 July 1953), Boxer
- John Pankow (28 april 1954), actor
- Mark Linn-Baker (June 17, 1954), actor, film director and film producer
- Scott Bakula (9 October 1954), actor
- Michael Spinks (13 July 1956), Boxer
- Linda Blair (born January 22, 1959), actress
- Kasi Is A Graduate Student (February 24, 1961), actress, film director and screenwriter.
- David Kaufman (born July 23, 1961), actor
- Sean Blakemore (10 August 1967), actor
- Jeff Hartwig (25 september 1967), athlete
- Jason & Randy Sklar (12 January 1972), twin brothers, actors, film producers, script-writers, comedians and sport givers
- Sarah Clarke (February 16, 1972), actress
- Chris Small (born January 4, 1976), footballer
- Bobby Rhine (18 april 1976), footballer
- Ryan Michelle Bathe (27 July 1976), actress
- Chingy (9 March 1980), rapper
- Randy Orton (1 april 1980), wrestler
- Evan Bourne (19 March 1983), wrestler (real name Matthew Joseph Korklan)
- Shannon Vreeland (november 15, 1991), swimmer
- Oliver Kirk (1884-1958), American boxer