Softly, Softly was a British television seriesproduced by the BBC from January 1966 to december 1976 with a total of 269 episodes. The series was based on the work of the regional division crime with investigatorsin civilian clothes in the fictional region of Wyvern-supposedly the area around Bristol and Chepstow in England.
The series (which owes its name to the proverb ' Softly, Softly, catchee monkey ') is for Detective Chief Inspector Charles Barlow and Detective Inspector John Watt (played by Stratford Johns and Frank Windsor) from the popular police series Z-Cars, a new challenge to fight against the crime. Also Robert Keegan plays a role as sergeant Blackitt Z Cars,, who is retired and freelance works for the Department of crime.
In 1969 , the BBC series by the transition to colour TV again changed. Barlow, Watt and Hawkins were promoted and sent to the South-East of England, to the (again) fictitious Thamesford, where they were in charge of special operations. The series was renamed Taskforce, but the BBC was reluctant to change a known name and so it became Softly, Softly: Taskforce.
- DCS Charlie Barlow-Stratford Johns (1966-1969)
- DI/DCI/DS/DCS John Watt-Frank Windsor (1966-1969)
- DS/DI/CI/DCI ' Harry ' Hawkins-Norman Bowler (1966-1969)
- Mr. Blackitt-Robert Keegan (1966-1967)
- DS Matt Stone-Alexis Kanner (1966)
- DC Reg Dwyer-Gilbert Wynne (1966-1968)
- DCI Gwyn Lewis-Garfield Morgan (1966-1967)
- ACC Calderwood — John Welsh (1966-1967)
- DC Box-Dan Meaden (1966-1968)
- ACC Gilbert-John Barron (1967-1969)
- PC Tanner-David Quilter (1966-1967)
- DS Allin-Peggy Sinclair (1967-1969)
- DC Digby-Gavin Campbell (1968-1969)
- DI Jim Cook-Philip Brack (1968-1969)
- DC Morgan-Howell Evans (1968-1969)
- Jean Morrow-Gay Hamilton (1968-1969)