She studied with, amongst others, author Brett Easton Ellis classical languages and philosophy at the Bennington College in Bennington, Vermont. In 1992 she made her debut with the novel "The Secret History" (English title: "the hidden history"), about 6 students of classics, that start looking for the Rapture, which was described in his play by Euripides ' Bakchai '. Describes the numerous references to ruffle thosemaenaden, the female followers of Dionysus, and in which they have sexual intercourse, and such animals tear up more in a frenzied State of consciousness. During their quest, however, runs the one and other wrong. This book earned many rave reviews and expectations were Tartt high for her second book. This appeared in 2002, "The Little Friend" (English title: "The little friend"). In 2004 he published a short story, "Sleepytown: A Southern Gothic Childhood, with Codeine" (English title: "the Land of the Poppy"). The novel appeared in 2013 the goldfinch got the world premiere in Dutch translation. A second Dutch element of the novel is that the painting the goldfinch by Carel Fabritius plays a role in and is pictured on the cover. The book won the Pulitzer Prize for literature in 2014.
- The Secret History - the hidden history 'De Bezige Bij, 1992
- The Little Friend - The little friend 'De Bezige Bij, 2002
- The Goldfinch - the goldfinch 'De Bezige Bij, 2013
- "A Christmas Pageant." Harper's 287.1723. december 1993, p. 45 +.
- "A Garter Snake." GQ 65.5, May 1995, p. 89 +.
- "The Land of the Poppy" De Bezige Bij, 2004
- "Basketball Season." The Best American Sports Writing, Houghton Mifflin, 1993.
- "Team Spirit: Memories of Being a Freshman Cheerleader for the Basketball Team." Harper's 288, april 1994, p. 37-40.